I can’t believe I haven’t posted in over a month! But spring is here which means longer days, and more motivation and a desire to cook. It also means asparagus, green beans, and okra are at my grocery stores and I love it! Okra is something I find that you either love it or hate it. And I have to say, if you’re able to get fresh okra, the slimy part isn’t so slimy compared to when you cook it from frozen. So when you can get fresh okra, take advantage of it!
Here is a side dish I love to make with okra when I’m able to get it fresh. There are a lot of okra and tomato recipes out there, but I really love how the flavor of the fire roasted tomatoes mixes with the okra and seasoning. We had this with rice and there was a rotisserie chicken for James to have with it. But this over rice and you have a meal. A mixed-food-family meal was ready in 20 minutes!
Also – if you haven’t eaten okra raw, try it. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and just start munching.
Okra with Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil, optional
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.5-2 lbs. raw okra, sliced
- 2 15 oz. cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp creole seasoning
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add in the yellow onion and cook until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in your okra, canned tomatoes, and creole seasoning. Let simmer on medium-low for about 20 minutes.
- Serve as a side alone, or over rice.