Here is another salad we made – which came out really pretty! And I have to say, for the mushrooms, they came out yummy and held a lot of flavor. For a light, tangy, low-fat salad for lunch, check it out!
For some of our salad meal prep, we like keeping clementines and whole grain crackers around to throw in our lunch box to snack on – if we need it. I usually like to “beef” up my salads with so much veggies and fiber that you shouldn’t be hungry – but depending on your exercise routine or metabolism, you might want to throw a small snack in there for the 3 PM munchies.
FOR EACH LUNCH
- OMNIVORE: 8-10 Large Cooked Shrimp – cooked in lemon juice, dash of white wine, and minced garlic. Depending on how big your shrimp are, you might just need about 5-6.
- HERBIVORE: 8 oz. mushrooms sliced and sauteed in lemon juice, dash of white wine, and minced garlic until the mushrooms start to brown.
- 1 whole heart of romaine, washed, and sliced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Handful of cucumbers, diced
- Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast & salt and pepper on top.
- 1 oz. container for lemon vinaigrette – bought or use simple recipe online like this one
Meal Prep Tip
Chop the Greens. For salads I like to chop up the greens or slice them so that it can fit into the container easily without wasting room, and the rest of the components of the salad can be easily mixed in.
Keep it Separate. If you can, keep the greens separate from the rest of the components. Here I added the tomatoes and the cucumbers on top – it worked out, but the greens would have been crispier if it kept them completely separate from the rest of the salad fixings.
Make your Dressing. It’s fresher, easier, cheaper, and simpler. Especially when you think of what they can add in there. And you can make the right amount you’ll need, so no excess, and you won’t have yet another bottle to add to the side of your fridge. I don’t know about you, but I constantly have to clean out the shelves on the side of my fridge – 3 kinds of mustard, mayo, ketchup, 4 kinds of hot sauces, liquid smoke, pickles, etc. Why add a whole bunch of salad dressings when you can make it?