James love BBQ, so this was one of the first meal preps I did for him. As long as he had enough of whatever sauce there is, his pickiness starts to go away. There are a few things I learned while doing this that has worked out great for us that I wanted to share with you.
For Each Lunch
- Omnivore: 1 Baked Chicken Breast with BBQ Sauce – the size of your fist. If they are huge, which most are and it’s disturbing, cut them in half.
- Preheat Oven 400 degrees F. Place chicken on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Coat chicken breasts with BBQ Sauce. Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes.
- Herbivore: 1/2 can chickpeas, or 3/4 – 1 cup cooked chickpeas/garbanzo beans, roasted with BBQ Sauce
- Cook in same preheated 400 degree F oven. Coat chickpeas with BBQ sauce – on lined aluminum foil pan for easy clean up, and bake for about 15 minutes – just to get the BBQ sauce to adhere to the chickpeas.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup broccoli with salt and pepper
- 1 oz. container of extra BBQ sauce to add after being re-heated.
Meal Prep Tips:
- Short grain brown rice. It’s a little more expensive and a little harder to find, but the texture is more chewy than grainy and something that James doesn’t mind eating. So if you have family that doesn’t like the texture of brown rice, try short-grain and see if it helps.
- Frozen broccoli. With meal prep, you don’t have to cook it before. Add the frozen broccoli to the container and top with salt and pepper. It’s okay if it defrosts in the fridge. Once the lunch is ready to heat up, the broccoli will cook then and it won’t get by mushy and all the flavor will be there!