For my first meal prep post, I had to share our over all favorite meal prep lunch so far. James is really liking the meals you don’t need to heat up, and my parents both liked the salad – filling (Dad), but still light (Mom). Win-win all the way around and not hard to prep! Well there is chopping… and chopping… But not a lot to clean up afterward. The best way I can show you what we did was to list what we had in each lunch and you can adjust it for what you need. Also, I’ve come to learn, the more chopped the salad is, the more people will eat it. Once everything is roughly the same size when mixed together, nothing gets lost, it’s easier to eat, and it doesn’t look like it’s as much “green” as it is so people will eat more salad than what they would have.
FOR EACH LUNCH
- OMNIVORE: 1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey meat cooked with taco seasoning – or chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder
- HERBIVORE: 1 cup cook black lentils – simmered in taco seasoning – or chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup freshly shredded carrots
- 1/2 can of black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Cilantro to sprinkle on top
- Shredded cheese in small bags for Omnivores to take.
- 1 oz. container each of Creamy Chipotle Dressing – recipe below
Creamy Chipotle Dressing
Blend all ingredients together. Makes 1 cup. We divided this into 8 1-oz. containers for us to use and the dressing was just enough!
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, seeded, plus 1 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Meal Prep Tip
Jewelry bags. Go to your craft store, go to the jewelry making section, and they will have little recloseable bags to put earrings in or to store little crafting supplies. They come in a pack of like 200 for $1.50-$2.00. Perfect for meal prep! With the taco salads mom put a little bit of cheese in these that they could sprinkle on top. You’ll be seeing these little bags a lot. I didn’t get a picture of the bags with the cheese but these are what I’m talking about…