I usually like more al dente green beans and have them roasted or steamed slightly, but there are occasions you need some stewed green beans. I saw a recipe that used oregano and tomatoes and thought that would be a good summer side dish. It’s simple, easy and healthy. What’s not to love?!
Oregano Stewed Green Beans
- 1 small/medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 14 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Heat oil at the bottom on a medium pot on medium-high heat. If you are using a non-stick pot, you can put the heat on medium and cook the onions without oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add in garlic until it starts to brown.
2. Toss in the green beans, tomatoes, broth, oregano, and parsley and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the green beans are at the desired tenderness.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Take off heat, add the lemon juice, and serve.