The first time I had pineapple salsa was on a black bean patty. The recipe was from Chloe Coscarelli’s “Chloe’s Kitchen” cookbook. It was my first vegan cookbook and where I started to learn the ‘tricks’ of vegan cooking 5 years ago. I reference it a lot! The spine on the book is actually falling apart, that’s how much I used it!
Anyway – I loved how the flavors came together and the fresh juicy and acidic pineapple was perfect with the cumin & black bean patty. NOM! I was thinking of that recipe, and I remembered one time I grilled sweet potato rounds with cinnamon and cumin and then squeezed lime juice over top. It was awesome! So I decided to combine the two and try to make the recipe as simple as possible.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Patties with Chipotle Pineapple Salsa
- 1 medium sweet potatoes raw (peeled), grated
- 1 can of black beans, save some of the juice (Aquafaba)
- flour or garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup red onion
- Vegetable oil
- Make the Pineapple Salsa. Chop up the pineapple, cilantro and red onion. Stir to combine. Add in 1 tsp cumin, 1-2 tsp chipotle chili powder, and salt to taste. Keep in a bowl. Set aside or in the fridge.
- Grate the sweet potato and add shavings to a mixing bowl. Drain the black beans, reserve some of the juice (aquafaba). Take the black beans and add to a blender, add in a small amount of the bean juice just enough to make sure the blender doesn’t get too stuck. The aquafaba will act like a binder as well. Blend just for a few seconds, you don’t want it completely smooth.
- Add bean mixture to the mixing bowl, add in 1 tbsp cumin and salt to taste. Mix together. Add in flour of your choice until the mixture becomes firm. Make the mixture into patties – about 6-8. Heat oil in a medium sized skillet. Slowly add the patties. Make sure the patties are browned on the bottom before flipping since this will help keep the patties from falling apart. Brown the other side and continue until the mixture is done.
- Serve with the pineapple salsa on top.