Here is a great and easy recipe that the whole family loved. It’s slightly creamy, full of flavor and something that will go with any summer meal.
Do you know someone who just doesn’t stop moving? Like, where do they get the energy? My mom is one of those people. She doesn’t know how to sit still. Once she is still she’s out for a 5 minute nap and then ready to go again. I mean really?
She told me the other day that on her weekend day (after working overtime that week, mind you) she woke up before her alarm at 5:30 am. Watched some TV. Had breakfast, drank her coffee, and then started cleaning the house. Once she realized she was making too much noise since my Dad was still sleeping, she figured she should leave the house. So she goes to the grocery store and is back by 9:00 am. THEN she decides to start doing house repairs and decorating. And then later that day I went shopping with her.
Why didn’t I get that? Just an ounce of her energy and I’ll be good for a year.
Lemon Garlic Rice Pilaf with Orzo
- 4 tbsp earth balance butter
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cups water + 2 ‘chicken’ bouillon cubes, or 4 cups vegetable broth
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the earth balance butter in a medium size pot on medium-high heat. Add in the orzo and onion. Stir until orzo starts to brown and the onion becomes translucent. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in the rice and stir to combine. Add in the water with the bouillon or the vegetable broth. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat once liquid is absorbed. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!