One of my favorite dishes when I was young was beef stroganoff. We would either put it over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. But for my plant based recipe it’s just good ol’ rotini pasta, or you could put it over mashed potatoes if you wanted a more heavier meal. I decided not to just do a mushroom stroganoff but to also make some of the mushrooms with a more “beefy” taste so it could be close to a beef stroganoff without having tofu or seitan.
So the beginning of the recipe is how I made the portabella mushroom strips have a more “beefy” taste to them, and then the rest of the sauce and flavors follow. I hope you enjoy it! I know I did!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Balsamic vinegar
- Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup earth balance
- 1 cups water with a dissolved “beef” bouillon OR 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red wine, optional – you can add an extra 1/2 cup of water or broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup coconut cream – (The cream will separate from the coconut water in the canned coconut milk if the can is not shaken and cooled in the fridge for a few hours) Possibly take 2 cans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened original plant based milk
- 1 lb. rotini pasta
- Cook pasta to package instructions.
- Take the sliced portabella mushrooms and soak them in the balsamic vinegar and Worchestershire sauce for about 10 minutes. Have enough of both vinegar and Worchestershire sauce to coat the mushroom slices.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Put the sliced portabella mushrooms in the skillet and sear. Once the mushrooms start to brown, add in thyme. Add in the sliced white mushrooms and onion, adding some oil if needed, and turn down to medium-high heat. Cook until the onion is almost translucent. If the water from the mushrooms becomes too much, turn it to high heat to simmer off the juices.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in butter. Add flour and mix together. The mixture should be dry. Add in the broth, red wine, and salt. Mix together until it starts to thicken.
- Add in the coconut cream and milk. Let simmer over low heat and thicken.
- Top pasta with mushroom sauce.