Spring time always gets me thinking of cold dishes with fresh ingredients and especially fresh herbs. So naturally Greek and Mediterranean food comes to my mind. I love making this and having it for lunch for a few days.
James doesn’t really care for onions, tzatziki sauce, or chickpea – at least not cold, so I get to make this all for myself. The best part is that it is whole food plant based, and it’s low fat. What more can you ask for?!
Greek Chickpea Salad with Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- handful of cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- juice of 1 lemon, or about 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- whole wheat pitas, optional
- Take the chickpeas, cucumber, red onion, and cherry tomatoes and stir together.
- Make the Tzatziki sauce – Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, fresh dill, garlic, and salt and pepper and mix together.
- Mix in the sauce with the chickpea mixture and enjoy by itself or fill a pita pocket with it!