One of my favorite fall pairings: green beans, cranberries, and lemon! I had this combo at a restaurant and since then I’ve been trying to recreate it just like it was. It was so delicious! Adding the black pepper made it the right type of spicy I wanted. Don’t skimp on it! It’s a much healthier and lighter green bean side dish compared to the usual green bean casserole. There is already enough fattening food this time of year, but not everything has to be right?
Green Beans & Cranberries
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
- 1 tbsp earth balance
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Black Pepper
- Add water to a medium pot 2/3 full, and bring to boil. Add a small amount of salt if needed.
- Add in green beans and boil for 5-7 minutes. Once they are somewhat soft but still have some crisp to them, drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add earth balance to large skillet and heat on medium-high heat. Add green beans, lemon juice, cranberries, and black pepper. Saute for about 10 minutes. With the lemon juice and the cranberries the cranberries will get soft and start to let off more of their flavor as the lemon juice breaks it down.
- Once green beans are desired tenderness, turn off heat and serve.