A few weeks ago on my Instagram I asked if anyone had recipe ideas or something they would like to see posted and one of my friends, who is a cookie-holic, asked for pumpkin spice sugar cookies. So of course I jumped on it!
I didn’t have a clue where to start for a recipe for sugar cookies so I used Chloe Coscarelli’s recipe as a base for these and “pumpkin spiced it”. The results were delicious! They were a little too sweet for me, and I felt like all I could taste was the powdered sugar in the icing, but everyone else that tried it really liked it and said they could taste a lot of spice in it. I guess my taste buds are off, or I just really am not liking a lot of sugar any more. Who knows?!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you make them, please let me know what you thought and if you have any suggestions I’m always up for listening to what you have to say!
Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup earth balance, or another butter replacement
- 3-4 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp clove ICING
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine, or coconut oil
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2-4 tbsp water
- food coloring, optional
- Check out Vegan Food Dyes from Chloe Coscarelli
- COOKIES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and spices in large bowl, or if you have a food processor, add it to there. If only using a bowl, sift or whisk the dry mixture to make sure there are little to no lumps. Add in vegan margarine (earth balance), water, and vanilla extract. If using food processor, pulse until the mixture is soft and doughy. If just using a bowl, with your hands, mush the butter, vanilla, and water with the dry mixture until a dough forms and keep kneading until it is all combined. Add 1 more tbsp of water if needed.
- Work with 1/2 or 1/4 of the dough at a time. Using a clean floured surface, roll out the dough 1/4 in thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut as many shapes as you can, and then place the shapes on the lined cookie sheets about 1/2 in apart. Use the leftover dough and roll it out again if you can. Continue until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, mine took 12. Let cool before icing.
- ICING: In a medium bowl, whisk together vegan margarine, and powdered sugar – slowly so that the powdered sugar doesn’t go everywhere.
- Add water 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in food dye at the end if using.
- Decorate cookies when cooled, let the icing set for about 15 minutes, and enjoy!