You don’t usually think of a cold salad in fall and winter as something you crave or want, but this salad is something I want any time of year. I had found a version of this and decided to make my own spin on things a few years ago. I’ll still change a few things here and there depending on the time of year. For instance, I’ve used fresh and dried cherries before in summer and it’s delicious! James is still skeptical about salads and especially salads that don’t look like your regular side salad, so when I ask him to try it, he usually says something to the effect of “oh! it’s okay…” BUT – I have had my pizza-loving teenage sister-from-another-mister that does not like kale, eat it, ask for more, and whenever I make it she up to helping me finish it. So, I say it’s a win even though my husband isn’t quite ready to try it yet.
MEAL PREP / STORING: When I make it I’ll keep the quinoa and the kale separate until I’m ready to eat it, or until I pack it for lunch. So it’s great for meal planning! Just make sure the baby kale stays separate until the day you eat it so it doesn’t wilt.
Kale, Quinoa, and Cranberry Salad
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 shallot, sliced
- flat leaf parsley
- 1 15oz can (1 1/2 c) garbanzo beans
- 1 6-8oz pkg of baby kale
- Cook quinoa. Take the quinoa and toast in a small sauce pan over medium heat for a few minutes until fragrant. Add in the water and cover. Let simmer until water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Take the olive oil, ACV, agave, mustard, and salt and pepper and mix together.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and cooled off for about 10 minutes, combine quinoa, dressing, dried cranberries, shallot, parsley and garbanzo beans in a medium/large mixing bowl. Set in the fridge until ready to eat/serve.
- Take a handful of kale and top with about a cup of the quinoa mixture and enjoy!