I wanted to share with you a recipe I’ll use to make 1 1/2 – 2 cups of cheese sauce for casseroles or anything that calls for 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese to be melted and blended with other things. I have yet to use this with soups however. I used this with my Chickpea Noodle Casserole as the topping. Of course you can always use the shredded vegan cheeses that are out there, and they do pack more of a sharper punch than this does once it’s mixed in with other things, but if you are trying to stay clear from processed foods, then try this out!
Soy, Nut & Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/2 c unsweetened plant based milk (I use almond milk)
- 3 Tbsp flour (any flour should work, but I just use unbleached all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder or yellow mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4-5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Take all ingredients and blend in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat. Whisk continually until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat and mix into or top off whatever recipe you might have.