One of my favorite sides that I love to treat myself with is a sweet Summer Squash Casserole. It’s creamy, sweet, and then the crumbs on top add the crunch and savoriness that you want. I saw the yellow squash on sale at the market and I thought of the casserole. It had been years since I had it, and it usually consisted of cheese, milk, eggs, AND butter, so I had to find a way that would be plant-based and healthier so I can eat it more and not feel guilty. : )
This turned out better than expected! I’m glad it only made a small casserole dish. Confession time – I couldn’t stop eating it and had 1/2 of it for dinner one night. Oops.
Summer Squash Casserole
- small amount of olive oil
- 1 onion, (yellow or white), chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 summer squash (yellow squash), chopped
- 1/4 c water, or more
- 1 c cashews, soaked for 2 hours or more
- 1/2 c almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 c bread crumbs
- 1/4 – 1/2 c Nut Parmesan, or any vegan parmesan you like
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat small amount of olive oil to a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic cloves and sautee until onion is soft. Add the chopped summer squash and water and let simmer until water is evaporated and squash is tender. About 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, add cashews, almond milk, garlic, and a small amount of salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- In an 8X8 casserole dish add the squash mixture, pour the cashew sauce over top, and then top with the bread crumbs and nut parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sides are bubbling and the top starts to brown slightly. Let cool for a few minutes and dig in!