Everyone knows soup is one of the best things to eat and what you want when you’re sick. The classic “Chicken Noodle Soup” is known as the “get well” soup. So I decided to create my own plant-based, oriental-inspired version of it. I love oriental soups, but I can’t always have them since soy and me do not get along very well. It’s a love/hate relationship, with more on the hate side. So I’m trying to find ways to make less-soy or soy-free dishes. And this is completely soy-free and oriental! WOO!
Since garbanzo beans/chickpeas taste like boiled chicken to me anyway… I didn’t worry about making this a split recipe. If you want it to be chicken instead of beans, you can always chop up a raw chicken breast and add it to simmer with the broth and veggies to cook.
Kale & Chickpea Udon Noodle Soup
A plant-based, oriental-inspired alternative to chicken noodle soup.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 4 medium carrots, about 1 cup, sliced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, about 1 1/2-2 Tbsp, minced
- 1 heaping Tbsp minced ginger
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale (I used lacinato kale), roughly chopped
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, OR 1 1/2 c cooked chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 14 oz pkg pre-cooked udon noodles OR 3 c cooked udon noodles
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp chickpea miso (soy-free!)
- 3/4 c cilantro, roughly chopped, plus extra for topping
- limes for serving
- Heat oil in large pot, add carrots and onion. Cook 8-10 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add kale, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, udon noodles, and rice vinegar. Cover.
- Dilute the chickpea miso. Take the miso and put in a bowl, add a large spoonful or two of the hot soup broth to the miso. Whisk together so the miso is blended and it becomes a thick liquid. Add to the soup pot.
- Let simmer for a few minutes. At the end of cooking, add the cilantro. Taste and add S&P if needed/wanted. Remove from heat.
- To serve, top with fresh cilantro and lime juice.