Who doesn’t want BBQ pulled pork sandwiches?? Especially when you live in Texas! This is another one of our favorites and something that I can always make plenty for both of us for the next day’s lunch or dinner. You can always cut the recipe in 1/2 if it’s just for 2 people.
Adapted from: The Veggie-Lover’s Sriracha Cookbook
Pulled Jackfruit / Pork Sandwiches
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried mustard
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 4 tbsp agave mix
- Add 1/4 or more red pepper sauce (sriracha) to make it spicy For Serving:
- hamburger buns or rolls
- vegan mayo
- Meat-Based: In the morning add the pork shoulder into the slow cooker (Low 4-6 hours) with the water or broth, the peeled cloves of garlic, and spices. (5 minutes)
- Once the meat is falling apart, leave in the slow cooker on warm, waiting to be pulled apart and cooked with the sauce.
- Plant-Based: Open the cans of jackfruit, drain and rinse off brine. Empty into a large bowl or pan. Take 2 forks and shred the pieces of jackfruit until it all looks like shreds. Set aside.
- Sauce: Add olive oil to skillet on medium heat. Add diced onion and sautee until translucent (5-7 minutes), add garlic until fragrant (less than a minute), add in spices and toast them for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, vegetable broth, molasses/agave mix, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and sriracha if adding, and combine. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Drain most of the juice from the slow cooker. Shred the pork. Divide the sauce putting 1/2 of the sauce in the slow cooker with the pork, leave the rest and add the pulled jackfruit to the skillet. Stir to combine. Have the slow cooker and skillet on low, let simmer with sauce for 10-15 minutes so flavor combines.
- Assemble your sandwiches and enjoy!