Here is my first split recipe post on here! The whole reason why I have this blog. A recipe you can make 2 ways (plant-based and meat-based) and are able to make them “together”.
Something I’ve always loved is chicken salad, so why not have some fun with it?
Pineapple Chickpea/Chicken Salad
Let's mix up the regular chicken salad with some pineapple and pecans, oh, and also have a plant-based version too!
- 1/2 c vegan mayo
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- S & P
- 1/4 c pecans
- 2 scallions, green parts only
- 1/4 c cilantro
- 1/2 c pineapple
If you are only making one of the versions, half the dressing ingredients. The dressing measurements are for both versions to be made at the same time.
- MEAT-BASED: If chicken breast is already cooked, shred and put into mixing bowl. If the chicken breast still needs to cook, add to large skillet, fill 1/2 way with water, and simmer until chicken is done. You can cut the chicken into 4 smaller pieces so it doesn’t take as long. Don’t want to make too many pieces otherwise you won’t get the pulled meat texture. Once chicken is white all the way through and the juice is clear, remove from heat, take chicken out and put on plate or cutting board and pull apart with 2 forks. You can allow to sit for a few minutes to cool.
- PLANT-BASED: Meanwhile, take your garbanzo beans and put into a food processor and pulse a few times until they are finely chopped. You can use a blender, but it would come out with less texture and more like a dip/hummus. Take out and put in another mixing bowl.
- Make dressing, add all ingredients and mix together in medium-small bowl.
- Chop veggies and nuts and add to dressing, mix together. Add about 1/2 of the dressing, maybe a little less, to garbanzo beans and mix together. Add the rest to the pulled chicken bowl and mix together. If either seem dry, add another tsp-tbsp of mayo.
- Enjoy with crackers, pretzels, strips of fresh veggies, or as a sandwich.